With the hundreds of social media sites or applications available, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. When you’re already trying to keep your e-commerce business afloat, social media can seem unnecessary and time-consuming.
Research has shown, however, that e-commerce retailers are reaping the benefits of social media (i.e., offering better customer service and increased sales) so it pays to use it.
Not everyone is social media savvy nor do they have the time which is why a lot of companies hire social media consultants to help them with their campaigns.
Do you need a social media consultant or should you do your own social media work?
When to hire a social media consultant:
- If you really do not have the time to commit to social media sites
- If you don’t have the time to learn social media sites
- If you don’t consider yourself a strong writer and/or interactive with your audience
- If you want to launch a large social media campaign and need experts to help get things off the ground.
- If you tend to defer project work to experts rather than attempt to try it yourself.
When to do your own social media work:
- If you’re familiar with social media sites (like YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook) and use them on a personal basis.
- If you’re a quick-learner and tech-savvy.
- If you’re planning a small campaign with only one or two social media sites.
- If you have content ready to post on a blog (or Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
Note: Social media consultants tend to pay per project or per hour depending on their rates and availability.